Sunday, January 23, 2011

Black Eyed Peas' Apl.de.ap Says He's Legally Blind

apl.de.apHe's rocked stages across the globe and built a successful career as one-fourth of the platinum-selling group Black Eyed Peas, but member apl.de.ap had an obstacle in his way the entire time -- he cannot fully see.

The Filipino rapper revealed to People magazine recently that he's legally blind due to a rare condition called nystagmus, a form of involuntary eye movement which can cause vision impairment.

He says he's had it most of his life.

"I doubted myself for a long time," apl.de.ap said. "I'm comfortable not using my vision. I weave around my problems."

The condition is characterized by alternating smooth pursuit of the eye in one direction and saccadic movement in the other direction.

It causes constant blurred vision, rapid eyeball vibrations, and nearsightedness. Apl says he can't read anything unless he's very close to it.

"I'm good at shapes. If I'm not close, even if it's big, I can't read it."

apl.de.ap was diagnosed with the condition as a child, and said that until he found hip-hop as an inspiration, Nystagmus left him feeling worthless.

"Until I discovered hip-hop, I felt I wasn't going to accomplish anything."

He's proved he can overcome the condition as a member of the Black Eyed Peas, who's sold millions of records across the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment